Amitriptyline hydrochloride overdoseElavil overdose; Adepril overdose; Endep overdose; Enovil overdose; Trepiline overdose
Amitriptyline hydrochloride is a type of prescription medicine called a tricyclic antidepressant. It is used to treat depression. Amitriptyline hydrochloride overdose occurs when someone takes more than the normal or recommended amount of this medicine. This can be by accident or on purpose.
This article is for information only. DO NOT use it to treat or manage an actual overdose. If you or someone you are with has an overdose, call your local emergency number (such as 911), or your local poison center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States.
Amitriptyline can be harmful in large amounts.
Amitriptyline hydrochloride is a prescription medicine. It is sold under these brand names:
Other medicines may also contain amitriptyline hydrochloride.
Below are symptoms of an amitriptyline hydrochloride overdose in different parts of the body.
AIRWAYS AND LUNGS
BLADDER AND KIDNEYS
- Cannot urinate
- Urine does not flow easily
EYES, EARS, NOSE, AND THROAT
- Blurred vision
- Dilated (wide) pupils
- Dry mouth
HEART AND BLOOD
- Irregular heart rate
- Low blood pressure
- Rapid heartbeat
- Inability to concentrate
- Lack of alertness (stupor)
- Muscle rigidity
- Uncoordinated movement
STOMACH AND INTESTINES
- Increased appetite
- Weight gain
This can be a very serious overdose. Seek medical help right away.
Before Calling Emergency
Have this information ready:
- Person's age, weight, and condition
- Name of the product (ingredients and strength, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
- If the medicine was prescribed for the person
Your local poison control center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to Expect at the Emergency Room
Take the container to the hospital with you, if possible.
The health care provider will measure and monitor the person's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure.
Tests that may be done include:
- Blood and urine tests
- CT scan
- Chest x-ray
- ECG (electrocardiogram, or heart tracing)
Treatment may include:
- Fluids through a vein (by IV)
- Medicine called an antidote to reverse the effects of the poison and treat symptoms
- Activated charcoal
- Breathing support, including a tube through the mouth into the lungs and connected to a breathing machine (ventilator)
An amitriptyline hydrochloride overdose can be very serious.
People who swallow too much of this drug are almost always admitted to the hospital.
How well someone does depends on how much of the drug was swallowed and how quickly treatment is given. The faster a person gets medical help, the better the chance of recovery. Complications such as pneumonia, muscle damage from lying on a hard surface for a long period of time, or brain damage from lack of oxygen may result in permanent disability. Death can occur.
Aronson JK. Tricyclic antidepressants. In: Aronson JK, ed. Meyler's Side Effects of Drugs. 16th ed. Waltham, MA: Elsevier; 2016:146-169.
Levine MD, Ruha AM. Antidepressants. In: Walls RM, Hockberger RS, Gausche-Hill M, eds. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 9th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2018:chap 146.
Review Date: 9/23/2017
Reviewed By: Jacob L. Heller, MD, MHA, Emergency Medicine, Emeritus, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, WA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, Brenda Conaway, Editorial Director, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.